Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Exhibiting Buffalo

I consider myself very fortunate to live in one of the most architecturally significant cities in the country.

I have had a lifelong love affair with buildings and it has only grown deeper over time. As a kid, my walls were covered with drawing of every building I wanted to construct as an adult. My dream home... my parents vacation home... the ultimate football stadium...

While my life has taken me down a different career path, I haven't forgotten where it started. Even as an adult, I still find myself spending a great deal of time obsessing about structure.

I yearn for new episodes of Build It Bigger. I have 23 episodes of Holmes on Homes DVR'd. I just spent an hour on Google Maps browsing Buffalo from above. I love satellite view.

One of my favorite websites is Buffalo as an Architectural Museum. Not only have I spent many hours browsing Buffalo's past... but I also find it very handy as a reference tool. When I need to find out more about a building being discussed on other websites, the info I need is only a favorites list away.

While websites serve a very useful purpose, imagine being able to step inside the lobby of one of Buffalo's historic theatres as it was the day it opened. Imagine being able to view original blueprints of Buffalo buildings as they sit under glass.

Which brings me to the point of this post... #4 on my Buffalo Wishlist...

The Buffalo Museum of Architecture

Location: Let's create an amazing reuse of the Connecting Terminal Grain Elevator.

- It will serve as a gateway to Buffalo's future, as well as it's past
- Multiple floors of exhibit space
- A room dedicated to Frank Lloyd Wright as well as E.B. Green
- Recreations of Buffalo landmarks.
- etc.

Museum of Architecture; Stockholm, Sweden

The BMA should also serve as a place to preserve Buffalo's architectural past. It could serve as a permanent home for the Central Terminal clock, as well as other historic city artifacts. We could also display the remnants of the Larking Administration Building in the FLW room. Although it has been restored, the lone pillar which still stands today remains exposed to Buffalo's winter weather. Let's bring it in out of the cold! While we're at it, let's take a little bit of all the Buffalo landmarks which will soon face unfortunate demolition.


The last remianing piece of the Larkin Administration Building

We must face the fact that we will continue to lose a little bit of Buffalo's history as time goes by. While we must act to save our great buildings where they stand, the painful truth is that many will continue to suffer the fate of so many before them. Cities evolve and landscapes change. It is up to us to make sure that we preserve and honor the path our city has taken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our goal is to have the Central Terminal be the permanent home for the Central Terminal clock!

Mike Miller
Vice President
CTRC