Sunday, December 9, 2007

Dreaming Big (Lessons for Buffalo)

Driven up Transit Road to Lockport any time recently? Chances are you probably noticed a new building - a new business. I would say that I each time I visit my parents in my former hometown, I can easily pick out some structure that wasn't there the previous month. Knowing what it was just twenty years ago, the amount of development along this corridor is really quite staggering.


Home Depot Plaza - City of Lockport; Photo Credits: TransitNorth.com

Cornerstone Credit Union - Town of Lockport

For most businesses in Lockport, Transit Road is the place to be if you want to be successful.

It seems now that local government leaders in the City of Lockport, Town of Lockport, and the Town of Pendleton want to put the pedal to the metal. So - together - they created the Transit North Historic Canalway Corridor. "Our Plan" pretty much says it all. As you browse through it - be sure to take note of one very important goal of this project. That is, to attract businesses that do not already have a presence within 150 miles of the area. The City of Buffalo can learn a few things from this. Have the vision to dream big. Develop a plan to foster that dream. Get the community involved from the very beginning. Listen to the people when they tell you what they want.

I think I may be visiting my parents a little more often.

Concept Rendering. TransitNorth.com

No comments: